Monday, August 5, 2013

Teachers need clothes too... Especially the essential pant

Hello everyone!
As a short introduction, my name is Kendall! I am starting my semester of student teaching in August and I could not be more excited! I am a high school history teacher, and this semester I will be with 9th graders and 11th graders all day long.... which may sound like trouble but I am hoping (and praying) that it won't be!
However, as I was beginning my shopping for school this semester, I started spending money on things for my classroom and desk supplies, like every other teacher in America! We spend tons of money on our students to help them in their learning experience, which we do happily! As I bought paper, pencils, pens, binders, markers, tab dividers... (OK you get the point), I started thinking about what money I would have left to buy some essential clothing pieces. Unfortunately, the answer was: Not much. I love clothes and I love looking cute! But my wardrobe was needing to change to more professional instead of college sorority girl. I love clothes, and I love shopping, so I knew that I had to save money, and buy cheap! The first thing I thought of that teachers really need in their wardrobe is PANTS! Yes, we all have the black and brown trousers, and while there is nothing wrong with those pants, we all need a little print and color in our lives! A way this season to make that statement is with pants, instead of the usual tops and cardigans!
I went through fashion magazines, looking for the things I had to have for my first few weeks of school. I want to look like a teacher, not the students that I resemble, since I am just a few years older than them. Here are my top picks for what kind of pants teachers can afford to jack up their wardrobe this Fall without breaking the bank!

Printed pants:
Printed pants are so in right now! They make a statement telling your, or my, high schooler's that I know whats in style, while still looking like their teacher. These Navy Blue with Black and White Diamond skinny pants I got from Forever 21 for $17.50! They are a very skinny fit, and quite high waist which looks great on my petite frame and gives the illusion of longer legs. The Light blue pants, with white polka dots (top left, second picture) I bought from Target off of their sale rack (designed by Merona! and they came with a cute Orange belt!). Originally these were $27.99!!! They are ankle cut, but not as skinny cut as most of the others.  The navy tweed pants (the top right, 2nd picture), I bought at the local TJ Maxx. These are Cynthia Rowley unlined fitted pants. What makes these special is that they have yet another fashionable statement piece these season: zippers on the bottom of the leg! It's absolutely adorable! The last pair are actually Capri pants I found on sale at Talbots! Right now is a wonderful time to shop the sale racks to find fashionable things that can transfer into the early fall. While I wont be able to wear my cute Capri pants by the end of September, they will look great during the first weeks of school! 


POP of Color:
At the beginning of the school year, we all still want it to be summer. Those months of lounging by the pool are over, but we don't have to look like we just fell into fall suddenly and resign to wearing sweaters and dark colors. Instead, take summer into your classroom with bright colored pants! These pants were all the rage in spring, and I'm sure that they will once again be in style for Fall. 
These first pair of pants (top left, third picture, below) are a light pink, by Body by Victoria. I have a confession to make about these... I bought them at Goodwill! As I said, saving money while looking amazing is important! If you have the patience to dig through a goodwill to find name brands and styles that you are looking for, you will be impressed! I had never been shopping in a Goodwill until recently, when two of my teacher friends introduced me. Once I started seeing brands like J. Crew, Ann Taylor and Express, it felt as if I had won the lottery! All of these things were just $3-6! Anyway, these pink pants I bought at a steal for $3.95. Seriously... go look in Goodwill. 
The second pair of pants (top right) are cobalt blue skinny twill by J. Crew. It's one of my favorite colors and looks great with both black and white, therefore, their purchase was a no brainer! They could easily be worn well into fall and next spring! I got these pants for $50... by far the most expensive thing on my post!
The Third Pair, (bottom left, 3rd picture), are a Tiffany Blue Twill pant. They are very skinny cut and hit right above the ankle (yet another trendy style at the moment!) These I bought at TJ Maxx, and were also designed by Cynthia Rowland. 
The final pair of pants are red ankle cut by Sandro Studio. Yet another TJ Maxx find!! The red pant had an explosion of success last fall, and I think that it will make a re-emergence this fall as well. As teachers, we have to buy things that will last a few seasons, and I don't see the red pant dropping off of fashion forecast for a while. 



I will start posting other things that are essential to the trendy teacher's wardrobe soon! Dresses, skirts, tops, shoes, and more!
I hope that you enjoyed!

No comments:

Post a Comment